During a brainstorming wander about the city tonight (accompanied by the almighty soundtrack of Mum) I further developed my collaboration idea...
The idea of creating a series of artworks in partnership with a variety of people is decent, but not really something that jumps out as incredibly interesting to me. So I had a quick chat with my sister, who thought the idea was neat, in it's possibilities of examining the psychology of my connections with my collaborators (she mentioned color theory, etc.). I agreed and mulled it over on my walk home.
With that in mind I thought of how to differentiate each of my collaborators so that there would actually be some interesting patterns/subtexts that may emerge when veiwers were able to see the entire collection together at the end of the year. This led me to two small revisions to my 'collaboration' project idea.
#1. Everyone I collaborate with has to be someone I have not known before the collaboration begins.
#2. Each of my collaborators must come from a significantly different walk of life... Whether it be their class, ethnic background, orientation, etc. (It may be interesting to focus on the ideals of my collaborators rather than class or ethnicity specifically... E.G. what they find most important in life, money, love, success, family, etc.) I'm still mulling this over. But the point is that I can envision two very different voices coming from me between when I am collaborating with a homeless youth versus my well-to-do grandmother's knitting club leader...
Although I am still hesitant about the entire collaborative thesis idea, I feel as though these new criteria help to refine the peice as something that is inherently social/politically-oriented and also much more interesting (as well as a greater challenge).
Monday, September 10, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment